Sunday, November 11, 2012

Where did the weekend go? Working on Incorporating Math Routines

Ok, so how is it Sunday night already?  I always have such an ambitious to-do list and then I just get disappointed when I don't get it all done!  Here's what I did do:
  1. Lesson plans... really good ones, I might add!
  2. Read up on math routines to slide into the time slots I created each day in my plans to practice math skills outside of the Everyday Math lesson.
  3. Came up with a solution to my organizational issues in the classroom with Daily 5 and math materials... trips to Staples, Target, and Lowe's and $300 later.  (Is this why I do not own my own home?  I think so!)  
  4. Uploaded books on CD to iTunes to put on our classroom iPods for Listen to Reading.  The kids are PUMPED about this, so I had to get it done!
  5. Started a new to-do list!

Number Routines/Mental Math
Alright, I posted on Friday about how I wanted to incorporate mental math into my day and I squeezed some time in after lunch.  I only needed about 10 or 15 minutes, so I figured this is totally do-able.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but after going back and reading or rereading some of the books I shared, I know I need to fit this into my day.  We're going to work on number sense, subitizing, and the concepts of 5 and 10.

How are we going to do this in 10-15 minutes a day?  Well, I will keep you posted, but here are some things on my list:

1. Ten Frame Flashes- flash a ten frame on the projector and students have to quickly determine how many counters they see.  They also explain how they saw it.  For example, in the 2nd slide below,  one student may see 7 counters as 3+4, one may see it as 3+3+1, and another may see it as 8-1.  Here are some samples from the slides I use, which are on my TpT page.  Just click the slides to go see more!



For this slide, students may see 8+8, 4+4+4+4, 20-4, etc.


2.  Finger patterns- students hold up fingers according to a number I give.  We discuss the different patterns students made.

3.  Dot plates- dots are arranged on a plate and students must quickly determine how many dots they see, much like 10 frame flashes.

4. Domino flashes- enlarged domino printouts are used just like ten frame and dot plate flashes.

5. Counting around the rug- We choose how we are going to count (forward by 2s, backwards by 1s, etc.) and students take turns counting.  Each student says a number and we zigzag around the rows on the rug.  This is one of the students favorites activities from last year, so we will see once these are all incorporated what this year's kiddos think.

I will try to share pictures of the activities we try and keep you posted as to how it goes.  I already have all these materials made and have shared my ten frame flashes on TpT.  I'd share the rest, but I printed out the dominoes from another site and I actually glued dots onto real plates for the dot plates!  You're on your own for these for now! :)

 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! You did a TON!!! I just did laundry and looked at all of the things everyone else is doing. Kinda feeling like an underachiever. ;) Good luck with the lessons. I need to see you in action chickadee.
    Cruz'n in First

    ReplyDelete