Friday, February 1, 2013

100th Day Aging Booth Adjectives

Back in the day, I used to have the kids draw pictures of what they think they will look like at 100 years old.  That was a really hard thing for kids to picture!  Today at our grade level meeting, Jill (from Cruz'n in First) told me about an aging app to put on my iPad.  Oh my goodness, was it fun! It gives the kids wrinkles and gray hair... and the boys can either be bald or have a mustache.  We were laughing SO hard!

After taking the pictures I printed them out so we could write about them.  We've been working on parts of speech and have already talked a lot about nouns.  Today we learned that adjectives are words that describe those nouns we've been finding.  Of course this ties into word choice in our writing- love when that happens!  We've already been talking about using interesting words in our writing- and we find them all the time in our reading, using context clues to define them!  This is the time of the year that everything really seems like it's coming together. It makes things so much easier to teach when you can integrate. :)

I will share my picture with you- please note that this is an estimate of what I will look like in 2044 or something like that- not what I look like today (though one of my kids said I already have the creases on my forehead).  We described parts of my face (nouns) using adjectives, then I verbally gave them an example of what I would've written (see below).  I really have been trying to keep my minilessons short to give them more independent work time, otherwise I would've finished writing it.  I will write it in before the 2nd part of the lesson on Monday.

Here's my lovely photo before:



And after:




The app not only adds wrinkles, but it makes your nose a little bigger (more noticeable on the kids, not really on me), and it gives you jowls, which makes your chin look pretty weird, too!

Here are some descriptions of the picture that we came up with:
old face
old-grandma face
nice old lady
wrinkly face
mad wrinkles (despite looking nice, some kids thought the forehead wrinkles made me look mad)
saggy skin (one kid said it looked like it was peeling off my skull)

Here is what I will write about my picture:
When I am 100, I will probably have a wrinkly old-grandma face.  I will still look like a nice old lady, even if I have mad wrinkles.  My skin might be saggy, but at least I won't have a bald head or a hairy mustache!

I tried to vary how I started my sentences because we've also worked a little on sentence structure and making our writing flow better and be more appealing by not being so repetitive.

Here are other descriptions for their pictures:
gray hair
white hair
silver hair
bald head
hairy mustache

To have a little fun and show you what the Aging Booth App can do, I made one of myself bald:


My brother says I look like Hulk Hogan!!!

And my personal favorite... the mustache:
 I told my dad that it makes me look just like him!

So, as you can see, you can have a lot of fun with this app and get kids super excited about word choice and parts of speech!

Thanks again to Jill  at Cruz'n In First for the app share- we haven't had this much fun writing in a LOOOOONG time!















1 comment:

  1. That is so fun! I know all of my little Firsties had an absolute blast with this, too. My best friend was the one who gave me the idea and I am trying to get her to start blogging soon. :o)
    Cruz'n in First
    Jill

    ReplyDelete