Friday, November 23, 2012

Making sense of dollars and cents

Gotta love chillin under the covers with your laptop on your lap while everyone else is out fighting lines to shop!  I LOVE shopping, but I DETEST crowds, so I am home relaxing and doing some schoolwork.

We're still trying to master money and at the same time, we are working on reading nonfiction.  So...


I was at it again with Reading A-Z!  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this site?  Here is a level D book that helps students identify and count coins.  It's a simple pattern book in a question and answer format.  The same words and structure repeat over and over again, so all of my kids were able to read this text!  So not only did we work on math concepts, we also practiced reading the sight words how and many, fluency (reading questions and statements), and comprehension as well!  There is a comprehension quiz that we have not taken yet, but will be a great math AND reading assessment.  I love when my grades can double dip!

What's up with the highlighter?  Well, 1. My kiddos love any excuse to use a highlighter.  It's bright and fun.  And 2. It provided a visual of how 100 cents could be broken down into different coin combinations.  We practiced skip counting by 5s, 10s, 25s, and 50s to 100 as well.  

After echo reading this book together, the kids met with their reading buddies and read this as part of their Daily 5 Read to Someone time.  You could practically see the lightbulbs going off as they were skip counting and using the hundred number chart to figure out how many dimes, nickels, etc. made up $1.00.  The songs I discussed in last week's blog from Harry Kindergarten on YouTube worked for many students, but here was a visual representation for those who needed a boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment