Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dice Domes... Greatest Invention Ever?! (Freebie included, too!)

I'm gearing up for my return to school after 17 days off that just flew by!  I'm excited to see the kids, but it's always hard to get back into the swing of things.  Though the break just didn't feel long enough, I know that when I get back it will feel like I have been gone for years, and I won't be able to find a thing!!  Anyway, I know it will be hard for the kids to be back, too, and I'm trying to find fun ways to get back into meeting those Common Core Standards.  We have report cards in two short weeks and I can guarantee those weeks will fly by even faster than the break!

On to what I have been dying to share...
Dice Domes!



Click on the picture to go see this product from Learning Resources!
The Dice Dome has three dice in it, two 1-6 numeral dice, and 1 die with three plus signs and 3 minus signs.  The best part... they are contained and QUIET!  The dice are made of sturdy foam and you barely hear them when they shake.  I don't know about you, but I cringe any time we are going to play a game with dice... not any more!  You can open these up and switch out the dice, too.  Oh, the possiblities...

Obviously, these are quite possibly the greatest classroom invention ever!  I've been wanting them since I first laid eyes on them, but talked myself out of buying them (how, I still do not know).  Guess what, though?  I got this for Christmas from one of my amazing first grade families...
An ENTIRE CLASS SET of Dice Domes!  So now I have to make sure I have enough activities to get lots and lots of use out of these bad boys!  I'm going to think out loud in the post, and if you come up with any ideas, please add a comment!

1.  Each student gets a Dice Dome and shakes.  Student must write a story problem to go with resulting roll. (math + writing)

2.  Students pair up, each with their own Dice Dome.  They roll at the same time and solve their equation.  The person with the highest result gets a point.  (Like War/Top-It).  To be more fair, you could ask students to ignore the sign and always add or always subtract, or just have it be the luck of the draw!

3.  Students use Dice Dome at word work, rolling and solving the equation, then writing the word wall word to represent the equation.  For example, if the student is working on the word "can" and rolls 3+4, the student writes the word 3 times in one color, then 4 times in another color and counts how many times he/she wrote the word total.  If the student rolls 4-3, the student writes the word 4 times and crosses out 3 of them.  (math + word work)

4.  Student rolls Dice Dome and then draws a domino/dot pattern to represent his/her roll.  We have been working on dot patterns and domino flashes, so this is a way for students to reverse the activity and help them start picturing these patterns in their heads, building number relationships.

5. Put 3 numeral cubes in the dome and have students roll and add three numbers together.

6.  Put three numeral cubes in and have students work on place value and number sense.  Using all three numbers, make the largest number possible, smallest number possible, etc.

7.  For higher ability students, put 3 or 4 numerals in the dome and 1 sign die.  Have them roll and add/subtract a 2-digit number with a 1-digit number or add/subtract two 2-digit numbers.

And for the grand finale of my post...
Click on this picture to go to the foam dice page on Learning Resources.  These would be good even without the domes!
Look at all of the options for filling the domes... I am in heaven right now!  I love the polyhedral dice for adding bigger numbers, dot dice for working on subitizing while adding two numbers together... ok I love them all!  There are also word family dice, too:



I have some Roll N Read games from Lakeshore, and while I love them, they are noisy and the kids lose the dice all the time!  With the Phonics Cube Set, they could play the same game, but I could select the dice I want in each cube depending on the word families/letters/blends we are working on!
















Needless to say, I will be saving up to add to my dice collection now.  I am always super excited when I have an activity that the kids will love, especially when they can use it independently.  Once the kids know how to use these, they will be able to get them when they are done with seat work or during snack time and have some fun practicing math, and even writing or word work, too!

Here is the Roll and Read sheet I currently use when giving the kids free reign on the bigger letter cubes I have.  If you download it, please rate me!  Gracias!


Download a copy here!














17 comments:

  1. If you lines the dome with felt...they would be quiet dice domes:-)

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are already super quiet... I bet they would be almost silent!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rhiannon - Nice to meet you! I saw you from your Budding Blogger Guest Post at Teaching Maddenness. :)
    Those Dice Domes look wonderful! I've already been using foam dice for a few years and would not be able to go back to the loud ones! Shiver me timbers!

    Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to your post through my email, so I hope you got it! Thanks so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. Love the dice domes, thanks for sharing I've never seen them before. I found your through the guest blog post and am a new follower.

    ilive2learnilove2grow 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them for the first time at our local teacher store. Never seen them anywhere else. I looked on the bottom of the dome for the website. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  4. Hey Rhiannon! I found your blog from Amanda's Budding Blogger post. I love using dice for different activities and thanks for the great roll and read freebie :) One thing I do when I want a different type of dice is cover another dice with masking tape and then just write with a sharpie what I want on each side. Makes the possibilities for your dice domes endless!

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Hi!
    Those dice domes are awesome! I am all kinds of jealous! :) haha

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these dice domes! I found them at a local teacher store but that was one of my "look don't buy" days because I has no mula (the story of a teacher right?) I broke my rule and bought 1 though. Now I can't wait to go back and get more. Thanks for the freebie! :)

    Ashley
    Primary Teacherhood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhiannon! I was so surprised to find your blog. You probably really don't know me, but my oldest son used to go to your school (when he was in kindergarten and first grade). You actually had a friend of mine's son in class too! Congrats on your blog, it looks great!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world... that is awesome! I am off to find your blog- thanks for finding me!

      Delete
  8. Ashley,
    You are most welcome for the freebie! I don't seem to know the meaning of "look don't buy," so I only had the "essentials" loading up my arms when I passed up the dice... haha. It meant so much more to get them as a surprise from one of my kiddos, though, and I never would have splurged for that many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW, have I mentioned that I am so excited that you all have found me?! Thanks for making my day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi friend! I think we are blogger soul mates because baseball is DEFINITELY my passion #2! :) My team is the Rangers though. :) Those Dice Domes are super cute! I usually use little plastic tupperware to keep their dice in. I also got Dice in Dice and we LOVE them.

    Haley
    mysillyfirsties.blogspot. com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for Tupperware small enough (and cheap enough) to hold the Everyday Math decks. They were a bit too big for the travel soap containers I found. Tupperware is great in the classroom! Thanks for posting... I'm following you now!

      Delete