Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Elation and Chicken Nuggets?!

Wow, was my class excited about the election!  I had two game plans for today, one with a little bit of election coverage and one with a LOT.  Well, we went with a lot because they were pumped!  I think I have some future politicians and maybe even a future President in my class.  One of my girls says she wants to be the President... you go, girl!

I wasn't at school yesterday, so we had a lot of research to do today.  With report cards last week and finishing up assessments, it was too hard to break from my normal routine.  So today we went to Nick.com and did some research.  I love that Scholastic, Time For Kids, and even Nick have some great resources for kids to help them understand issues important to our citizens and also to let them know that even though they can't vote, they can still influence it!  Did you know that 5 out of the last 6 elections, kids have correctly chosen which candidate will win?  Anyway, we watched videos about the candidates and their opinions on important issues.  It was so cute to see my little friends writing down what they learned in their composition book!  I told them that if they wanted to vote, they had to have a good reason for choosing their candidate.

So here is a rundown of our research:
First, we started with a KWL chart.  It was important to see what the kids already knew, and what they were wondering.
BTW, the kids decided that they were the smartest class ever because they filled the K column.  We had an interesting conversation during the making of our chart this morning.  It was hard for kids to understand what exactly the mayor, governor, and president are in charge of.  The concepts of cities, states, and countries are just so hard for first graders!  So, we made the connection to our school.  Our classroom is like a city, and I am the mayor.  Our school is like a state, full of lots of cities (classrooms), and the principal is the governor.  Put all the schools (states) together, and you have the country (corporation), with the superintendent as the president.  I saw some lightbulbs go on with that.  We'll keep working on it to bring the rest of the kids along.  I will probably move to the Me on the Map activity I've seen all over Pinterest!  This was a good way to get them more interested in geography, that's for sure!

Next, we moved onto the research on websites.  The kids were so concerned about me pausing the videos and making sure they could write down what they wanted, or that they could ask me questions about what they didn't understand.  It was amazing to hear first graders talk about taxes, healthcare, gun control, etc.!  They really care about current events and changing the world... I hope they keep that drive when it's time for them to take charge!

One thing about the research that really made some students upset was that President Obama answered kids' questions on Nick.com, while Romney's camp said he couldn't fit it into his schedule.  I couldn't believe that!  I wonder if that cost him some first grade votes...

After we did our research on the candidates and their platforms, we did some nonfiction shared writing.  Later in the year we will make "all about" books, and one of the pages is a compare/contrast page.  We did one together today on the candidates.
I tried to put as much as I could exactly how the kids said it, but this was also a time to clear up misconceptions.  Some kids thought that Iran was using oil to make weapons, and some thought that citizens were paying for illegal immigrants to go to college.  We had to clear that up!  Still, they were so deep in thought on all the issues, particularly energy and healthcare!  They really got that the energy debate is tied to the environment, money, and jobs.  Some kids were pretty fired up about the environment and finding clean energy. They also understood what the President meant when he was talking about sanctions on Iran.  Of course, I had to explain what that meant, but still... impressive!

Finally, it was time to vote.  I used ballots from First Grade Fever for the kids to cast their vote.  Then they polled 10 friends to see who they voted for, using another sheet from this voting kit.
You should go check out Christine's store... super cute stuff!

I also used the kit to make a classroom graph of the results from our poll.  And the winner is... Obama!
To wrap up our election day fun, the kids colored a poster of the candidate they voted for to go home and share with their families, since their opinion counts!
These were from PBS and I thought they were super cute!  The kids were trying soooo hard today to figure out who I was going to vote for (at least I know I presented the information impartially), so I am going to color my choice and show them tomorrow.  We talked about how sometimes people don't share who they vote for, but they wouldn't quit asking and I don't have a problem with sharing.  It's a good way to set an example of having a reason why you are voting for a certain person.  I told them I wouldn't share today because I didn't want to influence anyone's votes.  They needed to make up their own minds!

On a fun side note, I voted during the day and rewarded myself with some Wendy's chicken nuggets.  When the kids got back, I rewarded the child who picked up my "mystery object" during clean up time with a nugget.  I have never seen kids clean so fast!!!!

I definitely want to create my own materials for the next election- I loved what I found, but had so many ideas throughout the day of what I wish I had done!  I really wish I had started earlier, too!  Tomorrow we will fill in the last column of the KWL chart and read up about the election results.  I think this one is going to be a nailbiter...


No comments:

Post a Comment