Sunday, November 11, 2012

Where did the weekend go? Getting organized!

After 8 years of teaching, number 9 has me feeling cluttered.  I remember walking into a big, empty room, opening up all of the cabinets and seeing... nothing!  Ok, one cabinet had a few odds and ends, but that was it!  I spent the first year too proud/nervous to ask to borrow materials (I work with the BEST ladies... don't know why I didn't ask), so I made everything from scratch for centers, along with my partner in crime, Mary Beth.  We cried a lot on those long nights coloring, cutting, and pasting!  Haha!  Memories...

Well, fast forward to today.  My cabinets are busting at the seams, but nothing is worth throwing out!  Now I have to be more clever with how I organize things, deciding what I want the kids to have access to on their own, what I need to be able to grab quickly, you know how this goes!  I've got cabinets of teaching books, cabinets of read aloud books, cabinets of center materials, science materials, and then there's the math materials in tubs under the tables.  Now how are the kids going to get to any of that?!  I tried having stuff out in baskets on the tables last year, but that was a cluttered mess and never was organized.  I couldn't stand looking at it!  I feel bad that it's all tucked away this year, though, because that means the kids aren't using it!

So... I was up till 2:30 am, brainstorming, making lists, making plans, and when I opened my closet to get something, I saw all my nicely organized pants... in this:



ClosetMaid Cubeicals® 8 Cube Organizer White
Of course, mine is on its side in the closet, and that got me to thinking... why not get rid of the tables at the front of the room?  All they are doing is hiding the stuff underneath and taking up space!  The kids don't really sit at them at all and the space could be used so much better (and look so much cuter).  Well, that settled it, and the next day I was off to Target to get these bad boys!

What am I going to do with them?  Well, I figure these are the perfect way to separate and organize all of the many math manipulatives we have: clocks, geoboards, dominoes, cards, dice, pattern blocks, base 10 blocks, attribute blocks, rulers, tape measures, and the list goes on!  I also have school supplies in the closet that I would love to put out so that kids can get their own glue sticks and erasers when they run out.

So Wednesday night is my organizing party in my room.  Is it sad that I am excited about this?  I don't know if you've read this book:


Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy [SPACES & PLACES -OS]
 If not, you should!  A few years back I completely redid a hideous corner of my room, inspired by this book!  I really wish I had before and after pictures of the transformation, but basically I had so much wasted, cluttered, ugly space, and divided it into a library nook with a bench with storage under it, a cozy rug and lamps, and then the other half was turned into my word work area, with two bookcases back to back serving as a table with storage underneath.  Melamine shelves are attached to the top of the bookcases to make a countertop workspace.

Anyway, back to this year's project.  My room is all decked out in all things Cubs and Wrigley, so I popped into Lowe's and stocked up on these:

ClosetMaid 10.5-in Royal Blue Fabric DrawerClosetMaid Red Fabric Drawer

 I have never seen these drawers in Cubbie blue, so I was super excited to find these!

Essentially, as if I didn't have enough to do, I have created quite the project for myself. 
  1.  Put these together... I bought 3, just in case.  I have a LOT of stuff crammed under those tables.
  2. Sort and organize all the math stuff and get it put away in the bins.
  3. Label it in a kid-friendly way so they can find it AND put it away.
Prior to this endeavor, I spent my Saturday night organizing all of my word work materials into these:
 0.3 litre Really Useful Organiser Pack
 They are perfect for storing alphabet beads, scrabble letters, and even crayons!  I tried to share pictures of my own handiwork (and my cat helping me), but Sprint isn't cooperating!  After this Saturday night project, hopefully I won't have little Glad/Rubbermaid/Great Value containers spilling all over the place any more!  These have handles that lock over the lid and each box has its own home.  No more stacking containers to make ridiculously high towers that lean like Pisa and crash onto the floor!  My life is complete.  *sigh*  Well, not quite, but hey, it's the little things!  I'd like to thank the academy, Staples, Target, and Lowe's for emptying my wallet and still putting a smile on my face.

2 comments:

  1. Very smart! I'm in year 4 of being a teacher and just year 2 of teaching first, so I can take every organizing tip and idea I can get my hands on. :)
    Cruz'n in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm super excited about getting it all done... just wish it were free. Haha! You sure seem super organized to me. :)

    ReplyDelete